Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for December, 2014

I’m going to be back in Toronto this Sunday for Bazaar of the Bizarre: Frostbite. It’s free to attend so stop in, 11-8, and check out the amazing range of strange goods! Just remember to drop me an email or phone if you are interested in masks or any of the Steampunk supplies since I’ll only be bringing those by request.
frostbite14

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Last year I made my first steampunk mods from some Nerf guns. For my next modding project IMG_6147 I decided to go sonic. There was a fun, mixable set of make-your-own sonic screwdrivers that I found on ThinkGeek. What appealed to me was that there were three screwdrivers, each made up of four swappable parts. (the sound and light emitting guts fit inside any combination) This meant that I would have lots of options to work with as well as having multiple possible fall-backs if a planned mod didn’t work. My intent was to produce a single one for myself that could just be an add-on to one of the Steampunk outfits but I ended up altering all twelve parts. The set that got the most work was this one. It already had a bit of a steamy feel to it, but the all plastic parts just didn’t work for me. There was a good supply of many different metal watch bands in the stash and they came in handy for this project. I think that shortening and linking the one that wraps around behind the light-up window was one of the most difficult parts, IMG_6143 but the finished look is exactly what I wanted. I was also grateful for the size of the parts stash when it came to matching up a watch case to the window. Some gilding and an antique mother-of-pearl button accent the on/off switch and detailed metal panels cover over where I cut off the fake, plastic gears. On the lower end of the case, I used some more of my salvaged antique ivory panels and am still trying to decide if they need to have some Gallifreyian symbols scrimshawed into them. The end is a large, solid resin crystal with a jointed gold metal edging. The top was heavily rebuilt with the surrounding prongs being cut back, shaped and capped with metal to fit a light green faceted stone. I liked the stone since it tied to the existing colours but is still translucent enough to transmit the light from the working insert. All the parts were also either painted or gilded and then hit with antiquing washes to give them realistic ageing. (great existing wear/ageing on both the metal parts and the ivory help too)  All the changes also give the finished screwdriver a nice substantial weight when held.

Read Full Post »